Wednesday, January 10, 2007

REST vs. SOAP Reloaded

It seems that Google have decided to drop its SOAP interface in favour of a REST style interface. This again raises the REST vs. SOAP debate. I was therefore interested in reading this article from Steve Vinoski of IONA Technologies. Although he tries to "explain REST from the viewpoint of someone steeped in SOA..." I had the sneaking feeling that he came down on the side of REST, which is even more surprising when you realise that IONA was one of the original exponents of CORBA and has been heavily pushing SOAP over the past years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew, in some sense I did come down on the side of REST in this column, because 1) many of my previous columns (which are all available on my home page) already cover SOA, and 2) I personally think REST, while not perfect, neatly addresses some of the troublesome areas of SOA. I get tired of pseudo-religious technical debates like "REST vs. SOA," as they're largely just a waste of time, and instead try to learn from each side. As for IONA, note that my column is my own personal work, not IONA's, and so the opinions I express there may or may not be shared by my IONA colleagues. That said, though, IONA does have an interest in REST and we'll continue to explore whether it's something we can use to help provide more solutions to our customers.